The Great British Bake Off has been back on our televisions and with more and more of us spending time at home baking has increased dramatically over the last few months. Cake decorating is one such craft that has seen a surge in popularity.
In order to get started with cake decorating there are a number of ingredients and equipment items that you will need to have to hand and you will want to take time to practice your chosen decoration method. There are so many different ones to choose from that you will always be able to find something new to learn in cake decorating.
- Icing sugar
- Butter icing ( you can make this from scratch)
- Food flavourings – you can find some lovely flavours from Flavouring Manufacturers such as Stringer Flavour
- Food colourings – these can be found in liquid and gel forms depending on the depth of colour that you are looking for and the type of icing that you are creating.
- Piping bags – you might want to invest in reusable bags or you can find disposable ones from a number of different retailers both online and in person.
- Nozzles – there are hundreds of different piping nozzles available and each one of these will have a slightly different shape so that each one will result in a different shape being produced from the nozzle.
- Icing stamps – if you are looking to use royal icing to decorate a cake you can find icing stamps that will cut out the icing in a number of different shapes.
- Moulds – you can also find cake decorating moulds that you can use if you want to create figures from sugar paste or other icing based modelling ingredients.